Daring To Ask The Universe For What I Want (and 5 Other Resolutions For 2015)

So here we are at the start of a new year with a fresh opportunity to make improvements to ourselves and our routine. I always look forward to this annual 'second chance sweepstakes.' Before we get too far into the year, I'd like to do the same exercise that I did last year by setting a list of work-related resolutions for the coming year. Then a year from now, I'll look back and grade myself.  So without further adieu, here's my top six work-related resolutions for 2015:
Resolution #1 - Call People Back Sooner
This is an area that I definitely need to work on. With so much of my communication these days happening via text, email, and instant message, I get thrown off when I get an actual phone call! The voice message will sit on my phone or in my inbox for days. This is NOT good. I need to make a conscious effort to call people back right away.
Resolution #2 - Have Just One To-Do List
Will this be the year that I finally solve the To-Do list? I certainly hope so. In past years, I've tried out so many different ways to keep track of my to-do's. For some reason, I've never been able to nail down the perfect system. This year I am going to settle in on Basecamp as the sole location for my To-Do's - both work & personal. Fingers crossed.
Resolution #3 - Keep The Pedal To The Metal 
The year is long and while it can be easy to come out of the gate swinging, it can be equally easy to let up as the year wears on. If we are going to be successful, I have to keep up the intensity for the entire year - start to finish. I need to be challenging myself and everyone around me - not just in occasional bursts - but throughout the year. Not just on Monday mornings but on Friday afternoons as well. Not just in early January, but in late December as well.  
Resolution #4 - Be Daringly Innovative
GigMasters is at it's best when we are delivering innovation - when we are leading, not following. I want 2015 to be the year that we again introduce functionality that is unseen in the marketplace. I'm excited at this possible. The wheels are already in motion on this resolution and I'm excited to see if we can deliver on this promise.
Resolution #5 - Address Issues In the Moment
If issues arise with employees, I need to be on them like a windshield on a fly. Ok, maybe that's not the best analogy but you get the point. I can't wait a week, a day, or even a few hours. I need to get up from my desk, walk over, and talk to them. In prior years, I've waited way too long to address things that are bugging me. This year, I will be doing so in real-time whenever possible.
Resolution #6 - Ask The Universe For What I Want
Perhaps the most important of my resolutions is simply to not be afraid to ask for what I want. I was inspired by a good friend to make this resolution. This friend referred me to a Jim Carrey commencement speech from last year in which he encouraged graduates to ask the universe for what they want: "So many of us choose our path out of fear disguised as practicality" he said. "What we really want seems impossibly out of reach and ridiculous to expect, so we never dare to ask the universe for it. I’m saying, I’m the proof that you can ask the universe for it — please!" I hear you loud and clear, Jim. I'm going to do this.
So that's it. Six resolutions for the coming year. Short and sweet. Why only six? Because I want to keep the list concise and focused. Plus, I can't spend all day writing this blog post - I need to get back to work!! (see resolution #3)  I wish everyone a happy and productive 2015.


Comments

Popular Posts