My Top 8 Work Related New Year’s Resolutions For 2014


My Top 8 Work Related New Year’s Resolutions For 2014



One thing that doesn’t happen for me as CEO is that I do not get a written review at the end of the year. This isn't good! I should be reviewed & critiqued just like everyone else. So I’ve decided to write my own review, but in the form of New Year’s Resolutions.  So without further ado, here are my Top 8 Work Related New Year’s Resolutions For 2014


Resolution #1 - Get Less "Likes."

 I think my biggest mistake as CEO last year was being overly concerned with being well-liked. In this Facebook era of wanting more likes, I actually think I need less. As a leader, you naturally want to be well liked, and you NEED to feel empathy for your employees. However, I feel l ventured too far down that road. There were times over the last year where missteps were made, and I was overly forgiving. I’d say things like "Oh, don’t worry about it. Happens to all of us." It’s hard for me at times to reconcile my desire for employees to not be afraid to take risks, with the need for accountability. It’s something with which I struggle. The bottom line is that I’m being paid as CEO to make the company successful, not to get the most ‘likes’ and this is something I’m going to focus on during 2014.


Resolution #2 - Be More Direct.


Related closely to the "wanting to be liked" thing is a need for me to be a more direct communicator. I find it incredibly difficult to look someone in the eyes and give them negative feedback when they make a mistake. I find this especially difficult when it is someone who works really hard and who otherwise accomplishes great things.  When I do muster the courage to deliver negative feedback, I tend to beat around the bush. I know this is definitely not the way to go. In the coming year, I am making it a personal goal to give constructive feedback to employees in as direct of a way as I possibly can. Typically this involves me shortening my sentences. I need to remove extraneous words that I throw in to soften the blow. It’s best to just be direct. In the end folks will appreciate it and respect me more. Jeremy, our manager of Account Services, is someone who’ve I’ve really admired and learned from in this area. He has close relationships with people on his team, yet has the ability to delivery concise, direct feedback when necessary. He doesn’t try to beat around the bush or sugar coat things and I admire this about him.
 

Resolution #3 - Get It In Writing.


One symptom of my lack of direct communication is that there have been times this past year where employees have misinterpreted what was discussed with me at meetings. I believe being more direct in my communication will go a long way in solving this, but I also plan in the coming year to always follow up important meetings with a written summary of what was discussed. That way if there’s any confusion, the email confirmation should bring it to light.


Resolution #4 – No Surprises.


No one in the company should be surprised how they are doing and how the company is doing. As I look back over 2013, I believe that I didn’t make it clear enough for folks how we were performing relative to our goals, and what that would mean come review/bonus time. I do believe that Jack, our new full-time controller, will be able to help that a lot. I have asked him to make it one of his primary goals for the year to keep everyone well informed on the health of the business. This won’t just be traditional quarterly presentations. He'll be providing daily updates so everyone knows exactly where we stand. I don’t think we did a good enough job with this during 2013.

Resolution #5 – Connect The Dots.


As I look back on 2013, I don’t think I did a good enough job showing people how the projects we were working on related to our KPIs. Too often, I assumed employees were making that connection. Whatever the project, I need to do a better job articulating how this is tied to a goal, metric, KPI, etc. To this end, we are in the process of reorganizing the company. All teams and projects will be organized around our two big KPIs - Member Growth & Booking Growth. When you think about it, if a project doesn't relate to one of these two KPIs, why are we working on it?

Resolution #6 - Be Bold. Be Decisive.

As I look back at 2013, there were some bold moves that we made, such as offering a LITE membership for vendors. I believe it took us too long to make those decisions. It's an increasingly competitive landscape, and we no longer have the luxury of time to make important decisions. Whether it’s LITE memberships, booking fees, or monthly billing, we need to think things through very carefully, but then be bold and decisive in our decision making. I improved at this during 2013 – certainly better than I was in prior years – but I still have a ways to go. There are two people in particular who have really helped me in this area – Marissa, our VP of Marketing and Mike, our VP of Technology. Both are comfortable making bold changes and they’ve helped me come a long way in this area.  

Resolution #7 – Get Coached Weekly.


Over the last few years I’ve had the good fortune of working with Dr. Paul Marciano, who has a background in leadership and organizational psychology, and is now one of the leading authorities on employee engagement and retention. Dr. Paul has done wonders for me and others on the team and I look forward to continue working with him over the coming year. One thing we realized, however, is that having him come to visit every 2 months is not ideal. Too many things happen between visits. We are now modifying the arrangement to replace bi-monthly visits with weekly coaching calls. I’m really excited by this. There were a few thorny HR issues this past year that I could have handled MUCH better had I been communicating more regularly with Dr. Paul.


Resolution #8 - Hit The Numbers!

At the end of the day, we have to hit our numbers. It’s what pays the bills. I don’t think I pushed myself hard enough during 2013 to meet our goals.  I need to be far more aggressive this year.
  

Comments

Popular Posts