What's Harder - Parenting or Running a Business?

For the last few years, I've been focused heavily on truly growing my GigMasters business. We have over 30 employees now and although things are going well, it's become increasingly stressful as goals have become loftier, headcount has increased, and competitive pressures have mounted.

At the same time, my wife and I (OK, mostly my wife ☺) have been busy parenting our three children - one 8-year-old and two 3-year-olds (yes, twins). While it's been a joy and a blessing to have them in our lives, it's also been at times quite draining - both physically and mentally.


We spent last week on 'vacation' with our three kids up at my father's lake house in New Hampshire. I put 'vacation' in quotes because there are times when being away with 3 small children can feel like anything but. At the same time, I had to remain fairly connected to work as we had a number of key initiatives in progress that required my attention. Between keeping the kids from falling in the lake and fielding requests from potential investors, I was feeling heat from both sides of the fence.

It started me pondering this question: What's harder - parenting or running a business?

First, let's start with the similarities:

  • Both are incredibly rewording despite the hard work. 
  • Both require your constant attention. There is no auto-pilot.
  • In each, its infinitely easier with a good partner. In my case I've been fortunate on both fronts.  
  • There are times in both where its important to recognize when to step away for a breather. 
  • In both, there will be times when you make mistakes which is OK as long as consequences aren't catastrophic and that you learn and adapt.
 Now, the differences:

  • At work, I have more freedom over my day. I can schedule meetings, do research, or go into a room and brainstorm. There is no such luxury when you are caring for kids. Their needs and desires dictate your day.
  • At work, the interactions are more bi-directional, intellectual and collaborative. Because it is adults dealing with adults, there are (hopefully!) reasonable and logical discussions to work through problems. Try having a logical discussion with a 3 year old who insists on spilling the Cheerios and milk all over the living room floor.
  • Parenting is more physically draining.
  • Work has ping-pong tournaments and happy hours. Enough said.
Having done both and having spent a great deal of time pondering the question, I can say with confidence that parenting is harder than running a business. It is more draining, children are more defiant, and there is less freedom. Most importantly, there is more at stake. Don't get me wrong - the health and wellness of a business on which 30+ people rely for their paychecks is a lot to consider - but stack that up against being completely responsible for the health and wellness of children? There's no comparison.

Would love to hear your thoughts - what is harder in your opinion - parenting or running a business?




Comments

  1. I agree with what you have to say, although I find it hard to imagine that a 3-year old can "insist" on anything. Like becoming the president of my own business, I become the president over my kid(s), therefore, I am the one doing the insisting. It is their choice whether or not to resist my insistence, and my choice of how to exercise authority & enforce rules.

    The difference is experience and memory of children in families, versus employees of a company. Employees are hired for their experience and smarts and realize rules are in place so the community can stay safe, remain healthy, and continue to grow. Ignorance or disobedience in this hierarchy can mean termination from the community, for the sake of the community.

    In a family, children have no experience and are developing their memories. Employers can train employees tasks and jobs and demand results, but parents must educate children in many more areas (emotional, social, spiritual) from the ground up; they are responsible for the formation of the child's entire experience. Also, as a parent, you don't have the luxury of picking the person you are obligated to develop.

    Lastly, kids cannot be fired when they do a bad job. And if a catastrophe happens, it might end a business venture, but it is infinitely more difficult to kill a family.

    I apologize in advance if that last thought sounded negative -- it was meant to be purely and ultimately positive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts